We believe that architecture is an applied art created in the balance between practical and esthetic concerns. The architect must consider the function on the same time that he considers the artistic. The balance between these two aspects will result in good architecture. ATENASTUDIO’s architecture arises out of and in connection with the landscape –both the natural and the human made.
The spatial dimension arises in the relation between the “outside” and the “inside”. The room is particularly defined by the specific and the unique of the idea. We believe that architectural quality can only emerge with a respect and a deep understanding of the spirit of place, however this will be defined in the future.
ATENASTUDIO follows an environmentally and socially sustainable design approach in all projects at both the urban and architectural scale.
Within this design approach, sustainability and bioclimatic research are not seen as independent disciplines but as an integral part of the design process that leads to environmentally responsible solutions.
Local environmental and ecological conditions are considered as fundamental factors within the design process and implemented as strategies for the development of a characteristic urban identity. ATENASTUDIO believes that future architecture can only be found with respect and care for all relationships in every task– between those that are immediate and instantaneous and those that indicate and project the future. Our goals is to bring not less then excellency of the esthetic as well as functionality of the space. We aim to bring the innovation of the buildings typology .
Satisfied clients are a primary goal in the ATENASTUDIO.
ATENASTUDIO is an Engineering and Architecture Company based in Rome, working in the fields of architecture, landscape and urbanism. The studio has been established by architects Marco Sardella and Rossana Atena and is now expanded with the collaboration as a partner of an international recognized architect, Anna Maria Indrio, former partner in one of the biggest company in Scandinavia, the C.F.Møller Architects. Anna Maria Indrio brings in ATENASTUDIO large experience of prestigious projects in addition to those the ATENASTUDIO has already built.
ATENASTUDIO is strongly involved in several projects of excellency where architecture, advanced technologies, landscape, urbanism and interior design has being developed with high professionalism and full satisfaction of our clients.
Our skills are constantly being developed through new projects and through exchange with our global collaborators, experts and specialists.
ATENASTUDIO has experienced research and practice within the international debate throughout large-scale strategic master plan, for various sectors working with clients from across the globe. The most prestigious of those is the big urban development in Tirana, Albania, which includes a wide range of intellectual and programmatic aspects within mix use programs for urban development of housing, offices, hotels, tourism, sport, retails, schools, theatres and museums. With the participation of Anna Maria Indrio in ATENASTUDIO we have acknowledged a highest quality of experience in museums, educational buildings, transformation of buildings and living settlement.
Rossana ATENA, graduated in architecture at the University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’, (1999). She received the Master of Excellence in Architecture (2003) from the Berlage Institute, Postgraduate Laboratory of Architecture, in Rotterdam. She was a researcher and guest co-tutor at the Berlage Institute of Rotterdam, and she is involved at University on an academic level as visiting professor. She was a jury member at many invited competitions organized by International Entity. She is working in collaboration with experts from various fields, therefore combining architectural theory, research, innovation, and experimentation with high technical knowledge and professionalism.
Marco SARDELLA graduated in architecture at the University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’ (1999), received a Ph.D. in Architecture Technologies (2004) from the ITACA/Department of Architecture at ‘La Sapienza’ University in Rome. He is involved as team leader and project manager on large-scale design projects and international commissions with professionalism and thorough over 20 years of experience in architecture, urbanism, advanced technologies, manager of design and work supervision. Marco’s core quality is his broad education and experience in design integration across the scales with multiple involved parties.
Anna Maria Indrio is an architect based in Copenhagen, Denmark. Italian by birth, Anna is one of the top architects in Scandinavia with numerous awards to her name. She has a long experience of lecturing and writing articles, debates and books about architecture as well as jury member. Over the course of a long and illustrious career, AMI has been Partner in Charge and Leading Designer on a number of very prestigious works in museum architecture across Europe. She has been elected onto a number of important public organizations such as Member of the Board of the National Committee of ICOM.
ATENASTUDIO has been recognized on International level with many architectural lectures and publications: Domus, AMC, House of Steel, Architectural Record, Future, Casabella , Arkitekten, Arkitektur, Architectural Review, Controspazio and many others like interviews and talk . Anna Maria Indrio has participated in several TV appearances, both in Italy, England and Denmark.
ATENASTUDIO has received many prizes for winning competitions and awards (Best European Architect under 40- Europe 40 under 40 The European Centre for Architecture Dublin) and had the opportunity to exhibit its work and research at various exhibitions in Italy, Spain, Germany and China. Anna Maria Indrio’s work has been exhibit at the Biennale in Venice three times , at RIBA in London and at the Chicago Athenaeum, among many others. The list of prizes for Anna Maria Indrio is very long, many of them achieved in Denmark and in England. She has been Knighted in Denmark and has received high commence in Italy.
▪ “Thesis design project: Most Innovative Project”, ECOENEA, ARCA N.145, february 2000 [Marco Sardella]
▪ “Design project of a civic and religious complex in Caserosse”, PARAMETRO N.235, november 2001 [Rossana Atena]
▪ AAVV, “RESEARCH FOR RESEARCH” Book edited by Berlage Institute, Rossana Atena and Polona Filipic writers of “Archizoom Research”, Rotterdam 11 december 2001 [Rossana Atena]
▪ AAVV, FORUM TEVERE, “Natural polarity and urban polarity – International consultation of ideas about the Tiber”, published by Prospettive Edizioni, april 2003 [Rossana Atena]
▪ AAVV, “VIVERE VENEZIA”, edited by Marsilio Editori s.p.a., Venice, june 2003 [Rossana Atena]
▪ Rossana Atena e Polona Filipic, “Archizoom Associati 1966-1974”, AB ARHITEKTOV BILTEN N.161-162, Slovenia november 2003 [Rossana Atena]
▪ G.Santilli, “Masterplan le Serre, Tirana”, EDILIZIA E TERRITORIO, IL SOLE 24 ORE, 14-21 february 2005 [Rossana Atena, Labics]
▪ “Italpromo e Libardi Associati’s Headquarters”, A+U ARCHITECTURE AND URBANISM, Japan 2005 [Marco Sardella]
▪ G.P. Scaglione, “Net.it”, ACTAR, Barcelona 2005 [Marco Sardella]
▪ European Holcim Awards, “Masterplan Mulini’s Valley”, IL GIORNALE DELL’ARCHITETTURA, year 4, n.33, october 2005 [Marco Sardella]
▪ AAVV, “Lungotevere in Augusta redevelopment design”, AREA 83, november-december 2005 [Marco Sardella]
▪ AAVV, “Emergining Technologies and Housing Prototypes, Peppermint Frappè”, HUNCH DISCIPLINES N.9, Berlage Institute, Rotterdam, 2005 [Rossana Atena]
▪ “Obika da Roma a Milano”, ABITARE n.456, 2005 [Marco Sardella]
▪ AAVV, “1st Architectural Day Prize”, L’A news 44, november 2005 [ATENASTUDIO]
▪ Rossana Atena, Salvador Pèrez Arroyo, Igor Kebel, “EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES AND HOUSING PROTOTYPES”, published by Black Dog Publishing, march 2007 [Rossana Atena]
▪ AAVV, “The zero degree of interiors”, DOMUS 903, may 2007 [Marco Sardella].
▪ Mipim Architectural Review Future project awards 2008, march 2008
▪ AAVV, ‘La Place de l’Histoire a Tirana’, AMC 180, june 2008
▪ AAVV, ‘Revitalization of Scanderbeg Square – Tirana’, future 16/17, april 2009
▪ AAVV, VENTISETTETRENTASETTE, ‘International exhibition of young roman architects’, published by Prospettive Edizioni, 2009
▪ AAVV, HOUSES OF STEEL,”Living Steel’s International Architecture Competitions”, published by Images Publishing, 2009
▪ AAVV, MATERIALI PROGETTATI – speciale 27/37, published by Tre P Ceramiche srl Editore, 6 august 2010
▪ M.Fiordalisi, “Atenastudio e 3ti in Ghana: uffici-diamante per il Governo”, EDILIZIA E TERRITORIO, IL SOLE 24 ORE, November 2010
▪ AAVV, “Redevelopment of the old Hospital of Cittadella dell’Accoglienza, Riva del Garda”, Board of Architects of the District of Trento: CONCORSI. N.4, 2010, p.24
▪ AAVV, “Urban redevelopment and urban design of Piazza Pilati, Tassullo”, Board of Architects of the District of Trento: CONCORSI. N.4, July-August, 2010, p.30
▪ Maurizio Vogliazzo, “School complex in San Vito di Cadore (Belluno)”, l’ARCA, N. 264, December 2010
▪ Giovanni Santin, “Nursery for price but just on paper”, IL GAZZETTINO, Belluno, December 2010
▪ Alessia Forzin, “Il progetto di Sacchet sul nido di San Vito pubblicato da L’Arca”, Corriere delle Alpi, January 2011
▪ AAVV, “Carso 2014+”, AMBITO 3 – Re di Puglia (Gorizia), ABITARE N. 509, February 2011
▪ Municipality of Chioggia, “Towards the local town-planning of Ghezzi”, Competiton Catalogue, May 2011
▪ AAVV, ECOLA, “European conference of leading architects award for the use of render/plaster in architecture 2011”, AIT edition 8, Nr. 01/06.08, Austria ISBN: 978-3-87-422825-1
▪ AAVV, “Garda Lake Competitions, Published and Arrested” Architettiverona 89-, N.3, September-December, 2011, pp. 98-100, ISSN: 2239-6365
▪ Gabriele Neri “Riva del Garda. The new welcome city”, published by the Municipality of Riva del Garda-APSP” Città di Riva”, ISBN 978-88-6686-000-6, October 2011
▪ Andrea Bulleri “Tirana. La capitale Colorata / Tirana. The coloured Capital”URBAN DESIGN 6.2011, Maggioli, ISSN 1120-3544, December 2011
▪ Andrea Bulleri,TIRANA,SUSPENDED CONTEMPORANEITY”, Quodlibet Studio. Città e paesaggio, 2012
▪ Roberto Zancan, “Paesaggi addomesticati”, DOMUS N.964, Dicembre 2012ù
▪ “Prespectiva Humana” VISUAL DESIGN n.44, ISSN 1678-9156, Gennaio 2013
▪ “A Perfect Fusion, Landscape and Waterscape at the heart of Atenastudio’s mixed use building complex in China”, GREEN BUILDING & SUSTAINABLE STAREGIES, n.2,Toronto, Canada 2013
▪ “World Architecture 13, Urban Complex II”, JTART PUBLISHING, ISBN: 978-7-5623-4078-2, 2014
▪ “Sulle tracce dell’Italia in Albania”,
ISBN-978-99956-32-50-2, December 2014
▪ Exhibition of the international competition “Renovation and design project of S. Giuliano square, Potenza “, Italy, 20-30 June 2001
▪ Exhibition of the International competition: “Winter garden in Potenza”, Italy, 16 february 2002
▪ “Archilab Exhibition”, Orleans, Berlage Institute, april 2002
▪ Biennale of Venice, “Vivere Venezia”, Museo Correr, 11 august-7 september 2002
▪ “ Forum Tevere”, Design project and re-design of the Tiber River in Rome, Casa Dell’Architettura ex Acquario Romano, Rome, march 2003
▪ ”Beyond Awareness”, Skyscape | architecture, Berlage Institute of Rotterdam, december 2003- february 2004
▪ Lecture and Exhibition: "27/37 International exhibition of young roman architects", Seville, 21 may - 11 june 2009
▪ Lecture: "Greening the Urban Fabric", Capacity Building for Sustainable Tourism Development, Tirana, Albania, 18 december 2009
▪ Exhibition of the international competition "Urban garden and Facilities", Matera, Italy, 2 march 2010
▪ Lecture: "Greening The Urban Fabric", Masterhousing, University Of Rome Tre, 7 may 2010
▪ Exhibition at The "Ait - Architektur Salon", Hamburg, 20 May 2010
▪ Exhibition: "27/37 International exhibition of young Italian architects", Shanghai, 3 september 2010 - Rome 16 October 2010
▪ Exhibition: "Europe 40 Under 40", Madrid, 20 October 2010
▪Lecture: "ATENASTUDIO works", POLIS - International School of Architecture and Urban Development Policies, Tirana, Albania, 20 October 2010
▪Exhibition: “Carso 2014+. History of a process" Exhibition of the architectural proposal of the international design competition, Gorizia, 25 January -5 February 2011
▪ Lecture: "ATENASTUDIO", University of Potenza, Italy, 6 June 2011
▪ Exhibition for the thirty-years anniversary of the Board of Architects of Potenza, Potenza; 15-30 December 2011
▪ Exhibition: "World Triennal of Architecture "Interarch 2012"; Sofia, Bulgaria, 13-17 May 2012
▪ Exhibition: TEN: "Contemporary Architecture in Tirana", Tirana, Albania, 5 October 2012
▪ Exhibition:"Ghana Institute of Architects Golden Jubilee Celebration", Accra, Ghana, 5 October 2012
▪ Lecture: "KM-RUNWAYPARK" - TAW, Tirana Architecture Week, Tirana, Albania, 9 October 2012
▪ Exhibition:“AIT_Awards 2014” Hamburg, March 2014
▪ Lecture: “ATENASTUDIO WORKS” – Epoka University , Tirana, Albania, 2 April 2014
▪Female frontier Awards – Highly commended – 2021 [Anna Maria Indrio]
▪1 prize_Invited competition – Det blå plateau – Norrøn ( Tourist destination on the west coast of Denmark ) -2017 [Anna Maria Indrio]
▪1 prize_Invited competition – Cold Hawaii indland – Norrøn ( Masterplan for activities and waterfront , as well as nine spots along the fjord of Thisted , Denmark) – 2018 [Anna Maria Indrio]
▪1 prize_Invited competition – Tourist destinations cabins on the west coast, Denmark-2021 [Anna Maria Indrio]
▪1st Prize Permasteelisa, “National Architectural Prize for the Energy and the Environment”, Exhibited at the SAIE, Bologna, november 1999 [Marco Sardella]
▪2nd Prize, “Enea Prize, Sustainable Development 1999”, Rome, december 1999 [Marco Sardella]
▪1st Prize “Architectural project for a civic and religious complex”, awarded by the “Vicariate of Rome”, 18 february 2000 [Rossana Atena]
▪1st Prize, National Competition, “Paolo Sonino Prize for Environment, Architecture and Installation”, Milan, march 2000 [Marco Sardella]
▪1st Prize, Invited Competition, “Design Project for the New Technical University of Medicine and Cultural Center, Milan”, september 2002 [Labics, Daniele Durante and Rossana Atena ]okalia and Consonantia, there live the blind texts. Separated they live in Bookmarksgrove right at the coast
▪1st Prize, “Architectural Day”, Potenza, september 2005
▪Finalist, restricted competition: “The New Silk Road Competition”, Xian, China, june 2006 (in progress) [ATENASTUDIO+ Cityfoerster]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: ”The Halfencity University Competition”, Hamburg, Germany, september 2006 [ATENASTUDIO+ Cityfoerster]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: “Petrisberg Trier Competition”, Germany, october 2006 [ATENASTUDIO+ Cityfoerster]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: “Linz award competition for housing and urban complex, Austria, June 2007 [ATENASTUDIO+ Cityfoerster]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: “2nd International Architecture Competition for Sustainable Design” awarded by the living Steel Institute, May 2007
▪Finalist, restricted competition: 'Re-design and new complex school in Ora', Bolzano, Italy, April 2008[ATENASTUDIO + 3TI Progetti Italia]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: 'Design Project for Scanderbeg Square' with 51N4E, Daniel Libeskind, Map Architetcs, MVRDV, Archritecture Studio, April 2008 [ATENASTUDIO + 3TI Progetti Italia, Antonio Masini, Andrea Buzi, Daan Roosegaarde]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: 'Bushof Jona, Bus,Train terminal Station Competition', June 2008[ATENASTUDIO + 3TI Progetti Italia]
▪Finalist, restricted competition: “3rd International Architecture Competition for Sustainable Design” awarded by the living Steel Institute [ATENASTUDIO+ modostudio]
▪1st Prize “27/37 International awards of young roman architects”, competition awarded by the “Roman Institute of architects”, 3 march 2009
▪4th Prize, Special mention, International competition,"Urban garden-underground infrastructures", Municipality of Matera, october 2009.
▪4th Prize, Special mention, International competition,"Re-development of central areas of Tuenno" awarded by the Municipality of Tuenno, April 2010
▪1st Prize "27/37 International awards of young Italian architects_Shanghai 2010", competition awarded by the Roman Institute of architects and by the "Consulta giovani", April 2010
▪1st Prize competition for Masterplan, "Urban Redevelopment And Urban Design of C.A. Pilati square", Tassullo (Tn)_ May 2010
▪1st Prize "EUROPE 40 UNDER 40", awarded by the European Centre For Architecture, Dublin, 20 May 2010
▪4th Prize, restricted International competition " The New Museum In Gorizia Karst: Karst 2014+", Gorizia, July 2010
▪2nd Prize, International design competition " Re-development of the former hospital/ the new housing city", Riva del Garda (Tn), July 2010
▪1st Prize, Restricted competition "New Lands Commission's National and Regional Headquarters' Building", Accra, Ghana, October 2010
▪1st Prize and Procurement, competition "Coast and lakefront redevelopment of the city of Brenzone" Brenzone (Vr), Italy, January 2011
▪3rd Prize, design competition " Bicycle and pedestrian bridge across the river Piave. Bridge in the Alps" (BL), Italy, June 2011
▪ Finalist, "The European Prize for Urban Public Space", Barcelona, April 2012
▪3rd Prize "Sustainable house", Bucharest, December 2012
▪1st Prize, Lihu Area, mixed use building complex, Wuxi, China, 2012
▪Finalist, Restricted Competition for the “Civic Center
Building, Dobbiaco”, November 2013
▪2nd Prize, Restricted International Competition "New Hospital in Montecchio", Montecchio Maggiore, Vicenza, April 2014
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Restricted International Competition "Civezzano Health Center and Pharmacy building", September 2014
▪Finalist, Restricted Competition “ New headquarters
of the Institute for Social housing of the Autonomous
Province of Bolzano”, September 2014
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Student facility building
A.P.P.M, Trento, Italy, November 2014
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Restricted International Competition "Riviera urban development and public facilities for tourism development ", Tirana, Albania, November 2014
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Quartucciu sport park and
facilities, Quartucciu (CA), Italy, September 2015
▪1st Prize & Procurement, General Local Plans,
Kavajë, Diviakë and Rroghozine, Albania, 2015-2016
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Rehabilitation of Gabelli School, Belluno, Italy,2016
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Renovation of Agricoltural Institute “Della Lucia” laboratories and gym, Vellai di Feltre (BL), Italy, January 2017
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Intervention of environmental tourism enhancement of the communal area of Le Laste di Croce d’Aune”, Le Laste di Croce d’Aune (BL)”, Italy, March 2017
▪1st Prize & Procurement, Museum Pill e’ ‘Mata, Quartucciu (CA),Italy, 2018